Welcome to North Carolina Coalition On Aging
Our mission as a coalition is to improve the quality of life for older adults through legislative, public policy, and community actions.
...Benefits of Membership In the Coalition
Disaster Recovery Fund for Seniors and Local Aging Agencies
Hurricanes Florence and Michael have left many people in our state in great need of help. In response to this need, several aging organizations and groups including the NC Association on Aging, the NC Association of Area Agencies on Aging, AARP NC, and the Coalition on Aging have partnered to establish the NC Disaster Recovery Fund for Seniors. The purpose of this Fund is to help address the unmet needs and the long-term recovery of older North Carolinians and local aging agencies. The NC Association on Aging (NCAOA) is administering the fund. On-line donations can be made at www.ncaoa.org (designate for Disaster Recovery for Seniors) or checks can be made payable to and mailed to NCAOA at PO Box 10341, Raleigh, NC 27605. In the memo line note "Disaster Fund."
IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR OLDER ADULTS
The Coalition promotes the dignity, self-determination and well-being of North Carolina's older adults. Together, we represent more than 1 million votes in North Carolina.
2019 Legislative Priorities
- Invest state dollars in
adult protective services (APS), mandated core services provided by county departments of social services to our state’s most vulnerable adults.
- Close the
health insurance coverage gap in the state.
- Increase the recurring state funding for the Home and Community Care Block Grant (HCCBG) by $7 million.
- Increase funding for the Housing Trust Fund and increase the Homestead Property Tax Exemption to help ensure older adults and persons with disabilities have safe and affordable housing.
- Conduct a comprehensive study about how the state can better support family care- givers, particularly caregivers who are in the workforce so they can continue to work.
...Read More Information About The Priorities
Comments Pertaining to CAP/DA Waiver Application - February 1, 2019
- Summary of the "State of the Coalition on Aging - September 2018
- Letter to NC DHHS Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen on August 14, 2018 on Food Insecurity Among Older Adults in North Carolina
- August 28, 2018 Response from Dr. Cohen to Letter.
- Emergency Preparedness for Seniors Resources:
- 2018 Budget Bill (SB 99) Provisions of Particular Interest to Aging Advocates
- Notes for Talking Points for Aging Policy Listening Sessions - May/June 2018 ...read notes
NC Coalition on Aging - P.O. Box 12762 - Raleigh, NC 27605
General Inquiries - firstname.lastname@example.org
Coalition Executive Director - Mary Bethel - email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook
Friday March 22, 2019 ...More Details
Other Meetings of Interest
March 22, 2019 - Monthly Meeting of the NC Coalition on Aging at 10:00 a.m. in Room 104 of the Brown Building on the Dix Campus (801 Biggs Drive) in Raleigh NC
March 26, 2019 - Rural Day Presented by the NC Rural Center at the Raleigh Convention Center, Raleigh, NC
March 28-29, 2019 - Palliative Care Bootcamp - Lake Junaluska Conference & Retreat Center, Lake Junaluska, NC
...more meetings of interest
Feb. News Edition Highlights...
- Push for Personal Needs Allowance Increase: The primary public policy goal this year for Coalition member Friends of Residents in Long Term Care is to increase the personal needs allowance (PNA) for Medicaid residents in North Carolina’s nursing homes and assisted living facilities. For more about this effort, review the entire February News Edition.
- Legislative Committees Named:
The leadership and membership of House and Senate Committees has been named and the schedule for committee meetings has been confirmed. In the Senate, particular committees which we will monitor include: Aging, Appropriations for Health and Human Services, Health, and Pensions and Retirement. In the Senate, committees are Appropriations for Health and Human Services, Health Care, and Pensions/Retirement/ Aging. Information about the committees, as well as a current listing of upcoming committee meetings can be found on the
website for the NC General Assembly.
Feb. News Edition
Day at Legislature ... more info
Annual Meeting ... more info
The NC Coalition on Aging welcomes donations to help further our work on behalf of older North Carolinians. All donations are put back into our advocacy, public policy, and community action efforts.